You only need a few simple things to make homemade bird feeders. All of them (except maybe the birdseed) can be found at the grocery store and all of them are non-toxic, which makes this the perfect craft project to do with the kids.
DIY BIRD FEEDER SUPPLIES
- 4 cups birdseed
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 0.25 ounce packets of unflavored gelatin (or 5 teaspoons)
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- cooking spray
- parchment lined baking sheet
- thick sided cookie cutter
HOW TO MAKE A BIRD FEEDER
- Mix together the dry ingredients (the birdseed, flour, and gelatin mix) in a bowl.
- Stir in the wet ingredients (the corn syrup and the water). You will probably need to use your hands to get it sufficiently mixed.
- Spray a cookie cutter (any shape as long as it has thick sides) with cooking spray.
- Press the bird feed mixture into the cookie cutters. Then use a skewer to make a hole.
- Gently remove the cookie cutter.
- Allow it to dry overnight.
- String a ribbon through it and give it away or hang it in your trees.